An effective music curriculum will:
- Help students learn and develop the essential skills and meet technical demands unique to music.
- Instruct students how to use music to express ideas and to give glory to God.
- Integrate understanding of music by seeking connections with other content areas.
- Help students demonstrate an understanding of the dynamics of the creative process.
- Teach students to observe, discuss, analyze and make critical judgments about musical.
- Create an increased awareness of diverse peoples and cultures through music.
- Give students the tools to demonstrate knowledge about how technology and invention have historically influenced musicians and offered new possibilities for expression.
- Aid students in contributing to communities by sharing expertise in music and by participating in the activities of church, school, and the community at large.
Music Broad Goals
From a Christ-Centered Perspective, students will:
- Sing and play instruments with appropriate techniques while maintaining a steady beat.
- Identify timbre (tone quality) of various families of instruments.
- Acquire beat and rhythmic competency skills.
- Identify basic musical notation and symbols.
- Understand how music expresses ideas.
- Identify terms common to music
- Explore connections between the elements of music and other content areas.
- Develop musical accompaniments related to other art forms or content areas.
- Identify how music can support and enhance other disciplines.
- Understand why music is created and how it is used.
- Understand how music is created.
- Identify simple music forms when presented aurally.
- Identify the sounds of more familiar instruments, as well as treble and bass voices.
- Use appropriate terminology to discuss responses and reactions to particular musical works.
- Show increased awareness of diverse peoples and cultures through visual and performing arts.
- Understand how various instruments have evolved.
- Use appropriate music technology.
- Model appropriate audience behavior at live concert performances.
- Participate in appropriate school programs.
- Give glory to God through song and instrumental music.
Music Texts and Resources:
- Music and You, McMillan McGraw-Hill, 1991.
- All God’s People Sing-song book and CD.
- Smart Board Program-Instruments and Sounds.
- Belwin Beginning Band, Alfred Publishing Company, 2007
- Yamaha Band Student, Alfred Publishing Company, 1988
- Standard of Excellence-Comprehensive Band Method, Kjos Music, 1993
- Library of Choral Music and Musicals.
- DVD collection of classic musicals.
- DVD-Ken Burns “Jazz”.
- Collection of classic and contemporary music CDs.