History

Immanuel Lutheran Church and school is located in the heart of downtown Albuquerque in the historic Huning Highland District. The neighborhood is the first subdivision of Albuquerque — platted the same month as the coming railroad — and Immanuel was one of its first neighbors. Founded in 1914, Immanuel has since grown to almost an entire city block and has proclaimed a changeless Christ to a changing world ever since.

Immanuel Lutheran School has served as a mission arm of Immanuel Lutheran Church since 1924, when it began in a house near the church. In 1934, Immanuel Lutheran School was moved to a new building with two classrooms. Throughout the years, more classrooms were added. In 1958, an additional new school building was dedicated. Since that time, numerous improvements have been made to the building to include eight classrooms, a computer lab, a library, a gymnasium/auditorium, kitchen facilities, an enclosed playground, offices, and a work area. In 2005, a new building was dedicated which houses the kindergarten, preschool, church offices, and parish hall. The original 1934 building underwent renovations in 2010. The building houses the youth program, music classes, and extended care program.

 

In 2007, Immanuel Lutheran School was named a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, one of only 50 private schools nationwide to receive this award. The school was selected for this award on the basis of the school’s achievement test scores being in the top 10% in the nation. Blue_Ribbon_Logo_2007